Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Ride the Wild Peeta!

My new obsession is Wild Peeta. It’s fresh, it’s funky, it’s delicious, and it finally brings to Dubai what I consider to be one of America’s greatest innovations: the fast, healthy, multi-staged, choose-it-yourself sandwich creation.

Wild Peeta’s focus is “fusion shawarma,” where you start with fresh arabic-ish bread, choose your meat (chicken, beef, or veg), choose your sauce, and choose your veggies. Fusion shawarma is indeed an accurate description. The twirling pillars of grilled meat are traditional, while the bread takes the spirit of Arabic bread and gives it just the right amount of fluffiness and the sauces range from Mexican to Italian to Thai.

These people are sauce geniuses, by the way. I’d say genii, if that didn’t make them sound like they wear harem pants. But human or genii, they have crafted the most complex, multi-layered garlic mayo I have ever eaten. The thai sauce is nutty and slightly sweet. I even like the mushroom sauce and I despise mushrooms! The dressing on the fattouche, while not traditional, is so delicious I almost drank the remainder at the bottom of the bowl. Even their juices were startlingly good. Bravo, you Wild Peeta people.

My only suggestion is that they add one more stage of “choose-it-yourself”-ness. The sandwiches are missing a tangy, crunchy condiment. Our Thai sandwich was a tiny bit bland and would have been wonderful with a bit of spicy, citrus-y carrot salad. Our Arabic sandwich, which was wonderful, would have been divine with some of that Omani salsa-like condiment. And I can’t quite imagine the Mexican sandwich without some salsa fresca. In short, all of them would benefit from some sort of cruchy, vinegary condiment as the finishing touch.

But I’ll be back to ride that Wild Peeta again soon, regardless. The place is tiny and love-able the way that all independent, projects-of-passion are, especially in Dubai which has so few of them. The owners are charming and the staff were extremely cheerful and helpful. Overall, I’m thrilled that this place exists and, to quote from one of their comic-style murals, it is KASHKHAH!

No comments: