Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Mahmovies! Valentine’s Surprise

As if last night wasn’t amazing enough…
Watching the phenomenally creative and colorful movie “Sita Sings the Blues” is enough to make my day all on its own…
Selling my little cupcakes-for-Haiti (flavors: chocolate, vanilla, and Bounty this week) as fast I could ice them is enough to satisfy me for a week…
Being present at a concert as new and deeply moving as last night’s, where we enjoyed the rare opportunity to interact with the men who built this city, will keep me buzzing for quite a while…

On top of all this, my dashing husband concocted a wonderful valentine’s day surprise through his role as Curator MC extraordinaire! He arranged for one of the guys, Mohamad Farooq aka “Mr. Love” to sing a song from Fana’a (one of my favorite Bollywood soundtracks) and dedicate it to me. It was the best valentine’s day surprise ever! Mr. Love knocked it out of the park – his performance was spot-on and highly entertaining. Thank you, Mahmoudi!!

But back to the programme overall, it was truly a remarkable evening. The response to the concert especially has been overwhelming; in attendance were videojournalists from two publications and reporters from three more (we’ll stay tuned for the release of their stories), someone was supposedly almost in tears describing it on the radio this morning, the twittersphere is ablaze, and the bloggers keep on bloggin’. From my perspective, as I try to define why it was so special, I think Mahmoud really nailed it in his introduction when he said this is not an event with a political agenda, this is not about charity, and there’s no pity or condescension – it was simply a moment of acknowledgement and celebration. On their own terms, in recognition of their talents and passions. For many of us, certainly for me, it was the first opportunity to do so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heartbreaking...